Antonia Chitty and Erica Douglas have teamed up to write Making Money Online, a guide which takes you step by step through the process of building an online profile, finding fans, creating products and making sales. From the basics of getting started, through deciding what to specialize in, to finding and keeping followers, you will find inspiring case studies and useful resources in every chapter.
Antonia Chitty is an award winning entrepreneur and author. She started blogging at www.familyfriendlyworking.co.uk in 2007 which lead to a successful business. Erica Douglas is one of the UK’s leading parenting bloggers. She writes on life and parenting at www.littlemummy.com. Over the last few years Erica has made the journey from mum blogger to business owner. She founded the Mum Blogger eCourse which has helped over 1,000 mums start or improve their blogs. Erica and Antonia provide flexible and affordable training through ACEInspire and help mums start earning through Become a Mumpreneur. Antonia has three small children and lives with her husband, David, on the Sussex coast. Erica is a mum to one and lives with husband Alex near Edinburgh.
Here are Antonia and Erica’s tips for new bloggers on how to get started…
New to Making Money Online?
If you want to make money online and need a website, a blog is a great place to start. Here is a simple guide to getting started with blogging:
- What first? If you don’t have a blog, visit WordPress.com for an easy and free way to get started. If you have a website already for your business and want maximum benefits for search engine optimisation and traffic to your main site, ask your site manager to go to WordPress.org to download and integrate a blog to your main site.
- Next Steps. Next, spend a couple of hours getting ideas for your blog. Pull together any articles you have written in the past that could be repurposed. Write a list of frequently asked questions that you could answer on your blog too. Perhaps gather together a list of products to write about what might interest your target audience. Have this sort of blogging brainstorm every month or two so you always have a list of ideas to write about.
- How to do it. Blog 2-3 times a week. Keep posts relatively short. 200 words is about optimum, but it is fine to write 100 word updates too. If your posts go over 400 words, split them into two. Use simple jargon-free language so as many people as possible will understand what you are writing about.
- Make it easy. Add in widgets so that your articles are tweeted automatically, use the Networked Blogs app to link your blog to Facebook, or join everything up using Twitterfeed. This means that your followers know when you have added a new article to your blog, every time.
- Spread the word. Get involved with bloggers writing on similar and complementary topics. Comment on their blogs, join carnivals and create response posts to big issues addressed by other bloggers.
- Stick at it. A blog needs persistence. Book time in your diary every week to add a few articles, using inspiration from your list of ideas, or find a ghostblogger to create content for you. Within a few months you should start to see more visitors to your site and clients for your business.
Antonia Chitty and Erica Douglas are authors of Making Money Online.
The book is set for publication on 28 September 2012 with a limited time only discount of 30%.